Book Review: The Art of Racing in the Rain

I know I don't normally (or ever) do book reviews and I never thought I would even do one, until I read a book that has touched me in so many ways and will probably always remain one of my favorite books of all time, despite just finishing it this morning. 

I was on Goodreads about a week or so ago as usual. Somehow, I was in a mood for some read that would leave me sobbing like a train wreck, so I searched for sad books. One of the results was a book by Garth Stein called, "The art of racing in the rain." Not only was the book voted by over a quarter of a million people, but it also received a 4.2 rating, which is pretty high for my standard. And of course, being the animal lover that I am, the cute little lab on the cover sealed the deal for me. I immediately downloaded it to my kindle and put it as my next book to read. 

Credit: lingvotutor.ru
After finishing the Maze Runner on Saturday, I picked up TARTR and my God, I was hooked right at the first page. The book stands out for several reasons; unlike most other books, this one is written from a dog's perspective. The book is basically about the dog, Enzo, recalling his life story while on the brink of death. *spoiler alert* He's dying. Enzo is a very intelligent dog. He learns mostly through watching television, and he also happens to be obsessed with opposable thumbs. He's very insightful, kind, and loyal; as most dogs are. 

Judging by the title, you can probably tell that Enzo loves racing -- car racing to be more specific. But more than that, he uses racing as a metaphor for life. The opening line of the book is: "Gestures are all that I have; sometimes they must be grand in nature." 

The storyline of the book is very well-connected, and some of the characters are well-developed and fleshed out; although some of them are merely passing by. There is no climatic surprise that will get you off of your seat, but I still found myself turning page after page just so that I could read what Enzo has to say next. I stayed up until 4 am to read it after all. The suspense was a good plus, too. 

The wording of the book itself is beautiful. I have lived with pets, especially dogs, all my life, but this book made me look at them in a different way. We've all heard that "dogs are men's best friends", but to see how their lives literally revolve around us and to see our lives through their eyes; that's certainly something. 


Credit: youtube.com
One of the things that I learned from reading the book was to never read books like this when you're recovering from a cold or stuffy nose or in public. Fortunately, I finished the book at home. If you're planning on reading it, be sure to have tissues close by. The ending is very satisfying, yet so heart-warming at the same time. Garth Stein will rip your heart out, stomp it to pieces, yet you will be happy at the same time...with tears rolling down your face...if that even makes sense. It didn't help that my dog wassleeping by my side when I finished it. My stuffy nose is now worse thanks to all the crying. Don't get put off by that, though, as there were some very funny moments in the book as well. Enzo is truly one of a kind. Well, I guess you can say Stein is an incredible author to be able to bring Enzo to life.

I'm not an expert book reviewer, but as a vivid reader, I highly recommend this book. This is one of those books that you need to read at least once in your life. And here is one of my favorite quotes from the book:

“There is no dishonor in losing the race. There is only dishonor in not racing because you are afraid to lose.”- Garth Stein

FIVE GOLDEN WOOF-Y STARS

Love, Catherine
XOXO

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ហេតុអ្វីបានជាសង្គមឲ្យតម្លៃស្រ្តីលើព្រហ្មចារីយ៍ និងសន្ទះព្រហ្មចារីយ៍?

A Letter to Dreamers: Just Keep Swimming

Snow Cookies - Short Story